Camp HB, Huntington Beach’s beloved full-day summer camp, returned this year with eight fun-filled weeks of excursions and onsite activities! Camp HB is located at the Murdy Community Center, 7000 Norma Drive, and runs all day from 8:30 am to 6:00 pm, with early drop-off options available. This was the first year that camp ran for eight weeks (compared to six weeks in 2021) and it generated a lot of excitement. The camp sold out a month prior to starting and has created a waitlist for each week.
What makes Camp HB so special? Each week of camp has its own unique theme and brings campers on up to two exciting excursions per week. On the days where campers stay onsite, Camp HB staff lead fun activities including waterslides, bounce houses, movies, arts and crafts, active camp games, and host “Spirit Days,” where the kids dress up based on the weekly theme. Weekly themes and activities for each week include:
- Aloha Summer, with excursions to Tanaka Farms and the beach
- Jurassic Classic, with an excursion to Dinosaur Park in Laguna Hills and on-site waterslide
- Shark Fest, with excursions to Splash! La Mirada and the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach
- Space Odyssey, with excursions to the OC Discovery Cube and OCC Planetarium
- Heroes of Summer, with visits from HBFD and HBPD, and an excursion to Newport Dunes
- Summer Games, with bowling and mini golf excursions and the annual Murdylympics
- Animals of the World, with a beach day, prehistoric pet show, and an excursion to the OC Fair
- Ocean Adventures, with beach days and a trip to Sea World
So far, the camp has received numerous positive reviews with several campers enrolled in multiple weeks. We are looking forward to finishing off the summer strong and look forward to another exciting year of camp in 2023. To make sure your child or family member gets to experience Camp HB next year, keep an eye out for the spring issue of the SANDS guide, and visit www.hbsands.org for summer camp information!