At the November 1 City Council meeting, Jim Christiano was honored for his for 16 years of volunteer service within the Senior Center Transportation Program. Since 2006, Jim made a commitment to improve the quality of life for seniors in Huntington Beach by volunteering as a Senior Transportation Driver in the Community and Library Services Department for the Surf City Seniors on the Go Program. He is well-loved by passengers and is known for his service-oriented attitude. Offering rides twice a week for 16 years, Jim has driven more than 60,00 miles, volunteered approximately 4,700 hours of service, and provided rides to nearly 9,000 passengers.
At the City Council meeting, Jim stated, “I would have never been able to do this for 16 years without the support of my team at the Senior Center. They made it so pleasurable to do this job. I don’t know if you people are aware of what a wonderful program it is. It helps so many people that are so grateful. It gives you a sense of community and I really enjoyed it. I got more out of this program than I gave.”
As Jim retires, the City commends him for generously serving the seniors of Huntington Beach and supporting the Surf City Seniors on the Go program by providing essential transportation services. The City thanks you for your commitment, dedication, and service to improving quality of life for seniors in Huntington Beach.
For volunteer opportunities at the Senior Center in Central Park and additional information, contact Caryn Kawamoto at (714) 374-1544 or [email protected]. Volunteer opportunities include:
- Home Delivered Meal Drivers – Morning program delivering meals to HB seniors.
- Office Support – Providing general information, facility tours to guests, and answering phones.
- Outlook – Fourth Thursday of the month to prepare the HBCOA newsletter (affixing mailing labels).
- Technology – Computer instruction, Tech coaching, smart phone instructors, and more.
- Transportation Drivers – Morning and afternoon shifts, driving HB seniors to appointments.
- Wellness Pavilion Fitness Center – Give gym tours, sign up new members, and answer phones.
- Huntington Beach Council on Aging (HBCOA) – The HBCOA is a non-profit partner looking for new volunteer board members.